Wednesday, July 16, 2008

BMW 1985 – 325e Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

Some people say that this job can easily be done with the hood on the car. I found it MUCH easier with the hood off as I ran into a few problems and had better reach with the hood off. Before removing the hood, trace the hinges with a Sharpie or other pen so alignment is easy when you put the hood back on. Mark everything well. Here I’ve marked the proper wiring attachments for the radiator electronics.

Drain the coolant from the system, and make sure you also drain the engine block by unscrewing the 19mm drain plug by the exhaust manifold.
Remove the radiator by unhooking the shroud, hanging it on the fan, disconnect the top hoses and the bottom hose, and undo the two bolts and remove it.

Removal: The Fan & Clutch, the water pump pulley, the distributor cap & rotor and the drive belts.
Remove the fan & clutch. Remember, the 32mm nut opens CLOCKWISE as you look at the car. I used Channel-Locks and a strap wrench to hold the pulley still. I also used the strap wrench to hold the water pump pulley while I removed its 4 retaining bolts.

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment